[ To Express, To Reflect, To Give Back ]

Will an Indian compete in Snowboarding in Olympics?

I am not surprised about lack of attention to India’s representation in the Vancouver Winter Olympics. Most Indians aren’t interested in winter games and even amongst those who follow it, there is lesser people who actually play winter sports themselves.

Personally, I actually snowboard. Yep. Many of my Indian friends and family think, it isn’t much different from skiing. But it is not. I never skied so I wouldn’t know which one is harder or better. However, It did take a long time for me be a decent snowboarder, especially since I had not seen snow until I was 21 and started learning snowboarding only when I was about 25 or 26. I can come down the hill in most trails with no issue, but my speed and aesthetics still sucks in steeper trails.

Let me tell you my secret – just do it and don’t give up. Most newbie give up after the first day on snowboard. But the truth is you can really get a hang of it within the 3rd day of learning and rest is just showing up and mastering it.

I have been hitting the slopes at least 2 or 3 times a year for many years now though I only frequent ski resorts in NY area. I have tried out resorts in Colorado, Vermont, and Candada too (Tremblant!). There is no comparison to the quality of snow and the overall boarding experience in Vermont or Canada. The local resorts here are just easier to access but not for great snow.

In all these years, I have seen many people from India in the slopes. Almost all of them ski. However, I am yet to meet another Indian (1st generation Indian like me) who snowboards. I am sure there are many out there, it’s just that I haven’t had a way to connect with them. I continue to go all by myself, year after year. Its a great meditative feeling to snowboard down a long hill all by yourself.

Since the day I picked up boarding, I always wondered if an Indian will ever compete in Snowboarding in Winter Olympics. May be, who knows, someone might be training today for it.

Shiva Keshavan thinks we can do something about winter sports and India. From India’s standpoint, he is a veteran winter Olympian even though he is only in late 20s. He has been participating in Luge, representing India for three Olympics now. While I know nothing about Luge beyond being a spectator, I got to imagine its just as hard as any sport and at least, he finished at a decent spot, unlike his two other counterparts who literally ended up at the bottom of all participants. Sad as it is, I applaud their courage to participate (against the usual odds) and hold India’s flag in Winter Olympics. Let’s not forget that we got to start somewhere to get to the top!

I found just a few blogs or news items on Shiva Keshavan :

A Chance Interview with Indian Olympian Shiva Keshavan (btw, he speaks genuinely and very sensibly)

Kamala Bhatt (who also runs a popular Internet radio show) blogged about Shiva.

Lakshmi Gandhi pieced the ten facts about Shiva’s sojourn to Vancouver.

CNNGoAsia cribs about the beaten Indian team

Comments are closed since I couldn’t keep up with deleting spam. You can reach me at my yahoo at skchary.

Share so others can enjoy:
  • Facebook
  • StumbleUpon
  • Twitter

You might also like these:

1. Iam having a hard time
  2. Fall peaks, Winter sneaks!
  3. Indian Hockey & Greece Olympics
  4. Enjoying Olympics from an American Eye!
  5. Escaping the blizzard

34 Responses to “Will an Indian compete in Snowboarding in Olympics?”

1. trurohiptiorp says:

Good day!
    Happy New Year!
    Health, luck and love!

2. Bypeencanny says:

- Программисты со стажем профессионально и гарантированно по новейшей системе предоставляют услуги по взлому анкет vkontakte, odnoklassniki, сайтов знакомств, электронной почты и так далее.
    - Также помогут вам вернуть забытый пароль либо взломанную анкету. Никаких предоплат! Оплата после предоставления вам доказательств выполненной работы!
    - Доказательства любые: скриншоты, пересылка сообщений и многое другое!
    - Пароль остаётся прежним! Соблюдается полная анонимность и конфиденциальность!
    - Срок выполнения вашего заказа – от 20 минут. Обман полностью исключён!

- Заказы принимаются в аську 637115037

Взломать в Контакте-Заказы принимаются в аську 637115037

3. Deningereemuh says:

ściągnij na komputer sprawdziany szóstoklasisty 2012 sprawdziany do wałków ściągnij open fm ściągnij rom s5830serkpo 2.3.5 sprawdziany matematyka z plusem sprawdziany net film droga film bankomat ściągnij kolędy za darmo film za darmo online sprawdzian historia czas wielkich zmian sprawdzian niemiecki film droga ściągnij kevin sam w domu sprawdziany informatyka sprawdzian historia czas wielkich zmian ściągnij z youtube mp3 za darmo sprawdzian gimnazjalny 2012 ściągnij z youtube na mp3

4. maydroryBoony says:

Students need to know the arithmetic hand calculations Eating a nutritious diet can also help in bone health and maintain ideal weight Prison workouts provide training techniques that lead to amazing lean and strong bodies
    锘?The ingredients are all natural and harmless He was then pulled over and appeared “very nervous ” according to the officers You pull up a couple videos from you tube but they are so many which one do you choose? Would it not be nice to have personalized golf lessons for you right on your Iphone? Wireless Golf Coach can do that for you! Android Golf Drills 鈥?Ever been on the practice tee and nothing works? You pull up Golf Channel website on your Android but how do you pick from the literally thousands of videos? Wireless Golf Coach can provide you with unlimited personalized golf lessons that you can view right from your Android

5. Bernaren says:

Entire Age – Complete Attraction Disengage Love Manumitted Alone

11. Bymourf says:

pfsdjkdhcw

12. bewSpowl says:

pcugkesutb

13. Prestonsl says:

Upper crust girls over the extent of free dosug and relations time!

14. Prestonsl says:

Master girls for the benefit of disenthrall dosug and relations convenience life!

15. Prestonsl says:

Master girls for the benefit of disenthrall dosug and intimacy time!

16. Prestonsl says:

Upper crust girls for the benefit of disenthrall dosug and relations however!

17. Prestonsl says:

Upper crust girls for the benefit of disenthrall dosug and relations time!

18. Prestonsl says:

Best girls over the extent of without dosug and copulation however!

19. Prestonsl says:

Upper crust girls over the extent of free dosug and copulation convenience life!

20. Prestonsl says:

Best clothes girls for disenthrall dosug and intimacy time!

21. Prestonsl says:

Best clothes girls for democratic dosug and intimacy values bright and early!

22. alpaigorfam says:

Раскручу ваше сообщество Вконтакте.
    Только НАСТОЯЩИЕ подписчики (без собачек и ботов).
    Если пожелаете – до 100 000 подписчиков и больше (опыт имеется).
    Профессиональные (обладающие собственным неповторимым стилем)
    тексты с изображениями на заказ. Оплата договорная –
    по результату. То есть вы ничем не рискуете.
    Предложение уникально: так как из-за событий на Украине
    вынужден искать работу на стороне.
    Мои контакты:
    Skype – altaypa1
    Email – altaypa@mail.ru

23. Knish says:

Кныш Никита Михайлович – 24.04.1993 года рождения ; город Белгород улица Киевская, контактный номер 0972005629 работаю: Дизайнер ландшафта

24. InnaBaronel says:

Меня зовут Инна Барон я родилась и выросла в подмосковной Лобне,
    сейчас живу и работаю в Израиле. Основала НКО “Алоним” – некоммерческую организацию медицинской
    помощи детям в случаях тяжелых заболеваний. Стараемся помочь в исключительно тяжелых случаях.
    Делаем все, что в наших силах.
    Обращайтесь к нам по электронной почте:
    inna.baron@alonim.ru